- Taxi Taxi Mobile Launch Party - Tuesday, July 8th at 5:30pm at Raleigh Times Bar - More Info
- Designer/Dev Nomadders: Downtown Raleigh Meetup – Wednesday, July 9th at 9:00am at UserVoice - More Info
- Designbox Lunch Series: Organic Transit, the ELF, and Mission-Based Design - Wednesday, July 9th, 12:00pm to 1:00pm at Designbox - More Info
- 919 Beer: Taste the Triangle Birthday Bash - Wednesday, July 9th at 6:00pm at Aviator Brewing - More Info
- Code & Beers - Wednesday, July 9th at 6:00pm at The Bldg Co. - More Info
While I do not claim to have a crystal ball that can look into the future, I can say with absolute confidence that 2014 will be a big year for the startup community in Raleigh and the Triangle. How do I know, you ask? That's a great question. I have outlined my reasons below, but before jumping straight into that, I want to lay some context. 2013 was a big year for announcements, which really helped to shine a spotlight on all of the activity going on throughout the region. While announcements are great (and I look forward to each and every one), it's not until the announced projects are complete that we will truly begin to see the fruit of it all.
Thinking back to a conversation I had last year with Ben Yu, Managing Director for West Coast VC Sierra Ventures, I am now even more convinced that one of the most critical components to a fully robust and sustainable startup ecosystem is a heavy concentration of large companies, especially if those companies are in growth industries such as IT/Software, Biotech/Life Sciences, Gaming, Textiles, Consumer Product Design/Development, etc.